House of Bauhaus
Jen DeRose -- Interior Design, 3/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
As founder of the Bauhaus, Walter Gropius is renowned for his insistence on superior craftsmanship. When he designed the school's art and architecture facilities in Dessau, Germany, in 1925, he left no detail untouched, from the department heads' residences right down to each and every door handle.
Fittings manufacturer Tecnoline has reopened those very doors after receiving permission from the Gropius estate to reissue this design. Meanwhile, sister company Tecnolumen is reproducing lighting by a variety of designers from the same era. Gyula Pap's floor lamp, for example, maintains its 1923 shape and nickel plating. Both companies work from archival documents and original pieces whenever possible.
Both also distribute their wares through Masters of Modernism, a company that commissions reproductions of its own as well. Its scrupulously crafted Silver Collection tableware and Jewelry Collection are based on designs by the likes of Josef Albers and Marianne Brandt. 2451 Brickell Avenue, Suite 6H, Miami, FL 33129; 800-450-0405; mastersofmodernism.com. circle 362