Staff -- Interior Design, 2/1/2002 12:00:00 AM
Interior Design and Bombay Sapphire hosted the first Sapphire After Hours Design Awards, honoring restaurant, bar, and nightclub design, at the Manhattan restaurant Strip House on December 12. The venue, designed by Rockwell Group, was the winner for restaurants. David Collins's Blue Bar in London won for best bar, and Burdifilek's Meow in Toronto won for best nightclub.
1. Anita Cotter, director of public relations for the Savoy Group in the Americas, isn't feeling blue about receiving the award on behalf of the Savoy Group's Blue Bar.
2. Rockwell Group's Niels Guldager, associate in charge of the Strip House project, tries to take a sip from his award behind the back of his wife, Julie Yurasek.
3. Interior Design's Susan Lobel (left) and Cindy Allen (second from right) have fun with the specially designed award and its creators, Michael Morris and Yoshiko Sato of Morris Sato Studio.
4. Natan Bibliowicz and Carolyn Iu of Iu + Bibliowicz drink to the success of their fellow designers.
5. Penny Glazier (with husband Peter Glazier in background) toasts the awards debut, held at the Glazier Group's Strip House.
6. Meow designers Diego Burdi and Paul Filek of Burdifilek are speechless after receiving such an honor.