Arne Jacobsen Exhibition and Raffle in Florida
Seven Jacobsen Series 7 chairs reinterpreted by world-renowned designers will be on view.
Mairi Beautyman -- Interior Design, 2/12/2007 12:00:00 AM
On March 19th in Sarasota, Florida, Danish Furniture retailer dkVogue will present an exhibition and raffle celebrating Danish designer Arne Jacobsen. Proceeds, expected to top $24,000, will support services for HIV positive patients in the Sarasota Community AIDS Network (CAN), an independent non-profit organization.
The event will include a viewing of seven of Arne Jacobsen’s Series 7 chairs, as reinterpreted by world-renowned design firms Bisazza, Camper, Hummel, Georg Jensen, Hugo Boss, Paul Smith, and Royal Copenhagen. Answering the question: How would the Series 7 chair look today if you were given a free hand to design it?, the chairs are the result of a 2005 fundraising auction organized by Danish manufacturer Fritz Hansen to support the Danish AIDS Foundation. The Series 7 chair is the most popular Fritz Hansen product—since 1955, over six million have been sold.
Also on view, the only Egg Sofa in the United States. Designed by Jacobsen in 1958 for the lobby and reception areas of the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen, the sofa was reconstructed to celebrate what would have been the designers 100th birthday on February 11, 2002.
The raffle will include:
- 1 series 7 Chair with design by artist David Steiner from State of the Arts Gallery, valued at $7,500
- 1 Egg Chair by Arne Jacobsen, valued at $5,722
- 4 Series 7 Chairs by Arne Jacobsen and 1 Piet Hein table, valued at $3,511
- 1 Swan Chair by Arne Jacobsen, valued at $3,223
- 2 Series 7 Barstools by Arne Jacobsen, valued at $1,476
- 1 Little Friend Table by Kasper Salto, valued at $1,044
- 1 Gallery Stool by Hans Sandgren Jakobsen, valued at $525
- 1 Stelton Cylinda-Line Coffee Pot by Arne Jacobsen, valued at $399
- 1 Stelton Cylinda-Line Salad Bowl with salad utensils by Arne Jacobsen valued, at $378
- 1 Stelton Cylinda-Line Ice Bucket by Arne Jacobsen, valued at $239
The event will be held at 5:30pm at dkVOGUE’s downtown Sarasota showroom, located at 1549 State Street. Raffle tickets are $50. To RSVP, contact Christy Ryle at 941-955-2600.