Catch these events in December and January
Edited by Meghan Edwards -- Interior Design, 11/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
Seven large-scale minimalist forms debut in "White Light: Glass Compositions by Daniel Clayman" at the Mint Museum of Craft + Design in Charlotte, North Carolina. As the show title implies, Circular Object, a ring 53 inches in diameter, is composed of a special kind of glass that alternates between opaque and translucent depending on the position of alight source. December 15–May 25; 704-337-2000; themintmuseums.org.
1. Marcus Tremonto pushes the boundaries of matter and form with Ragno, made of an acrylic panel threaded with electroluminescent material. The "chandelier" is being shown alongside other Tremonto fixtures and furniture in "Lightworks," an exhibition of items for sale at Phillips de Pury & Company in New York. December 7-29; 212-940-1200; phillipsdepury.com.
2. "Juan Muñoz a Retrospective" will fill two levels of London's Tate Modern with more than 90 sculptures, installations, and performance pieces by the late artist, who died in 2001. His trademark tension between the illusory and the real comes through in the eerily clustered figures of Conversation Piece. January 24–April 27; 44-20-7887-8888; tate.org.uk.
3. At Vienna's Österreichisches Museum für Angewandte Kunst/Gegenwartskunst, "Coop Himmelb(l)au: Beyond the Blue" invites intensive study of this remarkable team. Renderings, models, projections, and animations feature completed buildings alongside current projects such as the Musée des Confluences, due to open in Lyon, France, in 2008. December 12–May 11; 43-1-711-36-0; mak.at.
4. For "Currents: Jason Salavon" at the Columbus Museum of Art in Ohio, the artist is producing 12 site-specific installations, culminating in a life-size reimagining of the IKEA catalog. Not familiar with his work? Check out Everything, All at Once (Part III). For this 2005 installation, Salavon took data from the live feed of a television antenna and computer-averaged the information to create a dazzling multimedia composition. January 18–May 4; 614-221-6801; columbusmuseum.org.
5. In the months leading up to the reopening of New York's New Museum of Contemporary Art, it's the SANAA-designed building that's generating most of the buzz. But what's actually being displayed there? The four-part inaugural show, "Unmonumental: The Object in the 21st Century" includes Isa Genzken's Elefant, constructed from plastic tubes, vertical blinds, toys, artificial flowers, fabric, bubble wrap, and spray paint. December 1–April 6; 212-219-1222; newmuseum.org.
"Linda Post: Level"
Chocolate Factory Theater, Long Island City, New York; 718-482-7069; chocolatefactorytheater.org.
December 1–January 5
Gladstone Gallery, New York; 212-206-9300; gladstonegallery.com.
"Kazuyo Sejima + RyueNishizawa/SANAA"
December 1–March 9
Henry Art Gallery, Seattle; 206-543-2280; henryart.org.
"Work in Progress: Herzog&de Meuron's MiamiArt Museum"
December 1–April 6
Miami Art Museum; 305-375-3000; miamiartmuseum.org.
"Fortunate Objects: Selections From the Ella Fontanals-Cisneros Collection"
December 5–February 17
Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation, Miami; 305-455-3380; cifo.org.
Art Basel Miami Beach
Miami Beach Convention Center; 212-627-1654; artbaselmiamibeach.com.
Moore Building; 305-572-0866; designmiami.com.
Important 20th-Century Design
December 9 and 11
Wright, Chicago; 312-563-0020; wright20.com.
CII-NID Design Summit: Leadership Through Design
Multiple venues, Bangalore, India; 91-124-4014075; designsummit.in.
Deutscher Werkbund to Bauhaus: An Important Collection of German Design
Sotheby's, New York; 212-606-7000; sothebys.com.
"Jorge Macchi: The Anatomy of Melancholy"
December 15–March 16
Blanton Museum of Art, Austin, Texas; 512-471-7324; blantonmuseum.org.
Important 20th Century Decorative Art & Design
Christie's, New York; 212-492-5485; christies.com.
"Silent Metronome Series"
Bentley Projects, Phoenix; 602-340-9200; bentleyprojects.com.
"GreenStop: Visionary Designs for a Self-Sustainable Rest Stop"
January 3–March 9
UC Davis Design Museum, California; 530-752-6150; designmuseum.ucdavis.edu.
Santa Monica Airport, California; 323-927-4659; artfairsinc.com.
January 18–August 3
Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia; 215-898-7108; icaphila.org.
Winter Market: World View
San Francisco Design Center; 415-490-5800; sfdesigncenter.com.
"Bright Common Spikes: The Sculpture of John Bisbee"
January 24–March 23
Portland Museum of Art, Maine; 207-775-6148; portlandmuseum.org.
Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, California; 323-937-4659; artfairsinc.com.
Outsider Art Fair
Puck Building, New York; 212-777-5218; sanfordsmith.com.
"Matthew Buckingham: Play the Story"
January 25–April 20
Des Moines Art Center; 515-277-4405; desmoinesartcenter.org.
January 25–May 18
Haus der Kunst, Munich; 49-89-21127-113; hausderkunst.de.
January 26–March 1
Ezra and Cecile Zilkha Gallery, Middletown, Connecticut; 860-685-2695; wesleyan.edu/cfa.
January 26–April 9
Santa Monica Museum of Art, California; 310-586-6488; smmoa.org.