Catch these events in March and April
edited by Mairi Beautyman -- Interior Design, 2/1/2005 12:00:00 AM
1. New York's Neue Galerie puts the spotlight on photographers with "Portraits of an Age: Photography in Germany and Austria, 1900–1938." The retrospective of more than 100 works by 35 artists includes Dora Kallmus's bromine gelatin silver print Dancer. March 11–June 6; 212-628-6200; neuegalerie.org.
2. In "Norge: Contemporary Landscapes from the Collection of H.M. Queen Sonja of Norway," New York's Scandinavia House presents 71 artworks from the monarch's private collection. The works, by 13 artists, include Tore Hansen's oil on canvas Sovende elg/Sleeping Moose. March 3–May 25; 212-879-9779; scandinaviahouse.org.
3. At the Oakland Museum of California, "Sculpture by Bruce Beasley: A 45-Year Retrospective" unites the sculptor's larger body of work with his permanent contribution to the museum: Tragamon, a prismlike cast-acrylic statue in the museum's fish pond. The exhibit showcases 75 works in materials ranging from aluminum to wood, including the maple Arrisus. April 16–July 31; 510-238-2200; museumca.org.
4. Freudian metaphors, private mythology, and childhood memories are recurring topics in "Max Ernst: A Retrospective," at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. The 180 works by the German Surrealist range from collages to paintings such as his oil on canvas The Garden of France. April 7–July 10; 212-535-7710; metmuseum.org.
5. In "International Arts and Crafts," London's Victoria and Albert Museum traces the Arts and Crafts movement from its British heyday to its manifestation as folk craft in Japan. Works by Frank Lloyd Wright and Helena Polenova are featured, as is Ernst Riegel's 1903 gilded silver goblet inset with uncut opals. March 17–July 24; 44-20-7942-2000; vam.ac.uk.
"Edge of Desire: Recent Art In India"
March 1–June 5
Asia Society and Museum, New York; 212-288-6400; asiasociety.org.
March 4–July 3
Miami Art Museum; 305-375-3000; miamiartmuseum.org.
"Blobjects & Beyond: The New Fluidity in Design"
March 5–July 10
San Jose Museum of Art, California; 408-271-6840; sjmusart.org.
"Speed, Style, and Beauty: Cars from the Ralph Lauren Collection"
March 6–July 3
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; 617-267-9300; mfa.org.
"Notes from a Child's Odyssey: The Art of Kermit Oliver"
March 6–July 4
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; 713-639-7300; mfah.org.
The Hugo Boss Prize 2004
March 8–May 11
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; 212-423-3500; guggenheim.org.
"Tangent e: Dieter Appelt, Forth Bridge—Cinema. Metric Space"
March 9–May 22
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal; 514-939-7000; cca.qc.ca.
The Armory Show
Piers 90 and 92, New York; 212-645-6440; thearmoryshow.com.
"Damien Hirst: The Elusive Truth"
March 11–April 16
Gagosian Gallery, New York; 212-744-1111; gagosian.com.
"Amish Quilts: Kaleidoscope of Color—From the Collection of Faith and Stephen Brown"
March 19–June 19
Denver Art Museum; 720-865-5000; denverartmuseum.org.
"Adele Alsop: New Paintings and an Installation"
March 24–April 30
Alexandre Gallery, New York; 212-755-2828; alexandregallery.com.
The International Asian Art Fair
Seventh Regiment Armory, New York; 212-642-8572; haughton.com.
"Josh Owen: Big Ideas/Small Packages"
April 1–May 27
222gallery, Philadelphia; 215-873-0750; 222gallery.com.
"New Work: Marilyn Minter"
April 1–July 24
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; 415-357-4000; sfmoma.org.
"Michael Combs: The Trophy Room"
April 3–May 15
Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, New York; 631-283-2118; thehamptons.com.
"Interior Design: Impacting the Future"
Legislative Office Building, Albany; 212-751-5350.
American Red Cross–Greater Palm Beach Area Designers' Show House
West Palm Beach, Florida; 561-650-9131; redcross-pbc.org.
"At the Window: Etchings by Edward Hopper"
April 9–July 31
Philadelphia Museum of Art; 215-763-8100; philamuseum.org.
Lightfair International 2005
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York; 888-866-7931; lightfair.com.
Salone Internazionale del Mobile
Milan Fairgrounds, Italy; 39-02-72-5941; isaloni.it.
"Great Brits: The New Alchemists"
Design Museum, London; 44-20-870-833-9955; designmuseum.org.
April 30–July 31
Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia; 215-898-7108; icaphila.org.