Staff -- Interior Design, 6/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
It was Hollywood on the Hudson at the annual Leader's Breakfast for the New York chapter of the International Interior Design Association, as director and actor Sydney Pollack and Interior Design editor in chief Cindy Allen shared the stage. On-screen were clips from Pollack's movies, including his recent Sketches of Frank Gehry.
1. Director-actor Sydney Pollack in conversation with Interior Design editor in chief Cindy Allen.
2. Snagging a centerpiece.
3. Honoree John Lijewski, former IIDA president and now Bank of America corporate-workplace senior vice president of interior design, accepting his honor for leadership in the design industry.
4. Hazel Siegel, director of the IIDA's New York education forum committee, with textile designer Jhane Barnes and Herman Miller A&D liaison Hilda Longinotti.
5. Dennis Cahill, director of leasing for the New York Design Center, and Pamela Light, president of the IIDA and senior vice president at HOK.
6. Cheryl Durst, IIDA's executive vice president and CEO.
7. Consultant Liz Bruder and Interior Design publisher and vice president Mark Strauss, honorary IIDA.
The Alpha Awards, honoring Interior Design Hall of Fame member Jamie Drake, took place at New York's Prince George Hotel—an obvious choice of location, since Drake masterminded its 2005 renovation. Celebrity client Mayor Michael Bloomberg presented the award on behalf of the nonprofit, which trains and facilitates employment for HIV-positive people in the decorative arts.
8. Jamie Drake accepting the award from his client Michael Bloomberg.
9. Gunkelman Flesher Interior Design's Andrew Flesher and Tom Gunkelman flanking Susan Becher Public Relations account executive Kate Williams.
10. The Prince George Hotel ballroom in all its Drake Design Associates finery.
11. Greg Herringshaw, assistant curator of wall coverings for the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, and Pollack's Mark Pollack.
12. Alpha Workshops executive director Ken Wampler.